FileCloud Drive isnt an Apple Silicon app, requires security setting kernel extensions

Angus Fox shared this idea 2 months ago
Already Exists

Version 23.232.0-8722.

Some observations:

This app installs, kind of, in macOS Ventura but :

• It is an Intel App and requires Apples Rosetta translation. Apple don’t make Intel based computers anymore and haven’t for some years. It should be recompiled and tested without requiring Rosetta.
  • It wants to install a kernel extension which isn’t allowed by the default macOS Security policy.
  • It is codesigned by an individual not by a company, perhaps you’ll think about changing this.
  • It suggests a mount point in /Users/username/cloudfiles. It would be much better if it was in /Volumes/FileCloud.

At the moment, it doesn’t seem usable to me, as I can’t risk changing the security settings for my Mac based computers.

I hope you’ll consider these feature requests when you are planning the next release.

Angus

Replies (1)

photo

Thank you for your detailed feedback on the FileCloud Drive application for macOS Ventura.

1. Apple Silicon Compatibility: We understand the need to optimize our software for the latest hardware. While we are considering updates to FileCloud Drive, we encourage macOS users to explore our FileCloud Desktop application, which is fully compatible with Apple Silicon and does not require Rosetta translation. FileCloud Desktop offers a modern and secure way to access and manage your files directly from macOS. You can learn more and download it from our FileCloud Desktop page.
  2. Security and Installation: FileCloud Desktop adheres to macOS's default security policies without requiring kernel extensions, ensuring a smoother and safer user experience. For installation guidance, please refer to our installation instructions.
  3. Code Signing and Mount Points: The concerns about code signing and mount point suggestions are valuable. FileCloud Desktop is code-signed using our company credentials, and it allows users to select custom mount points during setup, offering greater flexibility and security.

We hope you find FileCloud Desktop a robust alternative that addresses your needs without compromising security. If you have further questions or require assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file